Keto Butterbeer Recipe (Harry Potter Impressed)
Ever since I started reading the Harry Potter series in third grade, I've been obsessed with creating my own version of an old wizard favorite – butterbeer. The perfect accompaniment to a handful of chocolate frogs.
I don't think there are any specific ingredients for this magical drink. While the recipe may be interpretable, the book describes Butterbeer as "less sick butterscotch". It's also served hot and with a generous helping of whipped cream!
In any case, the recipes I found online were very different – some with sugar and water, pumpkin juice, and even frozen butterbeer.
Out of desperation, I decided to take matters into my own hands. With a few flicks of my wand, I went into the kitchen with a warm drink in my heart.
My butterbeer recipe is the perfect drink for a holiday get-together, Harry Potter themed party, or a pick-me-up on a cold winter night. In fact, even Mrs. Rosmerta would have been so lucky with the three brooms to get her hands on them!
Steps for making butterbeer
- Pour boiling water into the mug
- Add a spoonful of butterbeer mix
- Stir, foam or combine with an electric mixer
- Optional: Finish with whipped cream (or a scoop of keto-friendly ice cream) and a pinch of nutmeg
Keto butter beer mix
You'll think you were brought back to Hogsmeade in a heartbeat with my keto butterbeer recipe. Be careful, these just go down!
Preparation time 10 min
cooking time 15th min
total time 25th min
Calories 159 kcal
- ½ Cup butter unsalted
- ½ Cup fat whipped cream
- ½ Cup golden monk fruit sweetener
- ¼ Cup Erythritol pulverized
- 1 TL Salt-
- 1 TL cinnamon
- ½ TL Vanilla extract
- ¼ TL nutmeg
- ¼ TL ginger
Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until a light brown color develops (approx. 8-12 minutes)
While the butter is browning, mix and stir the remaining ingredients (except for the vanilla).
When the butter is lightly browned, turn the heat to medium and stir in the other ingredients. I find a whisk works best.
Add heavy whipped cream and whisk. Stir every now and then. As soon as you see a few small bubbles, take them off the stove.
Stir in vanilla.
Let the mixture cool for at least 20 minutes before pouring it into a glass. The mixture can be used immediately or refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Prepare the butter beer
Add half a cup of boiling water to your favorite mug.
Take a heaping spoon (or 2) of your butterbeer mixture and melt it in the boiling water. Mixing with a milk frother works very well.
When you're feeling juicy, add a dash of flavored rum. This recipe is delicious either way!
For something extra pampering, add a spoonful of whipped cream!
Keto butter beer mix
Amount per serving (1 tablespoon)
Calories from Fat 153
% Daily Value *
* Daily percentages are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
label @nobunplease and #nobunplease on Instagram!
The butterbeer mixture will come out like a thick butterscotch topping. The taste is amazing and deep – it would probably go well with coffee too.
Tips & replacements
- Make the butterbeer mix ahead of time if you want to serve it at parties or if you want to have it ready after a long day at work!
- This recipe is just as delicious without rum, but they go down pretty easily! Danger.
- If you still want a taste of rum without a dash of alcohol, consider adding rum extract.
- If you don't have any of the golden sweeteners (or ones that are meant to be a substitute for brown sugar), all of the regular sweeteners can be used.
- While it is very unlikely to be keto friendly, the wizarding world of Harry Potter at Universal Studios serves up their own version of the wizarding drink.
Are you a Harry Potter fan? Would you try Butterbeer?