three Rooster Soup Recipes for the Soul
Chicken soup can be a panacea for both colds and fevers. It’s warm and hydrating and appears to prompt anti-inflammatory activity to help you rebound more quickly. Warm up to these delicious chicken soup recipes this fall.
Veggie-licious Chicken Soup
Makes: 10 Servings
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup shelled edamame
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans
- ½ cup corn (frozen, fresh or canned)
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 2 (15-oz) cans low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1½ cups water
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp seafood seasoning
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Place all ingredients except chicken in a slow cooker, stirring to blend. Lay chicken on top and push down slightly to cover with soup. Cook 5 hours on low heat.
- Remove chicken from soup. Let chicken cool slightly, then shred. Stir back into soup and continue to cook 1 hour.
- Saute onions, carrots, celery and garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except chicken and simmer until veggies are tender.
- Add cooked, diced chicken to soup and simmer until chicken is heated through.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): calories 160, protein 17 g, carbs 19 g, fat 2 g, fiber 5 g, sodium 200 mg
Thanks for watching!Visit Website
Quinoa Chicken Soup
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 carton (32 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and ½ teaspoon salt; heat 6 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, Creole or Cajun seasoning, and thyme; heat 30 seconds. Place broth and quinoa in a pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer partially covered until quinoa is tender, about 12 minutes. Stir in chicken and warm through.
- Place soup in serving bowls and garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): calories 315, protein 29 g, carbs 29 g, fat 9 g, fiber 5 g, sodium 283
Chicken and Parsnip Soup
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- ¾ cup parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
- ¾ shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 (4-oz) package gourmet mushroom blend, trimmed and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2½ cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp hot sauce
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Add olive oil to a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high.
- Add parsnips, shallots, mushrooms and garlic and saute 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except parsley and bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes, or until parsnips are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): calories 204, protein 17 g, carbs 25 g, fat 4 g, fiber 5 g, sodium 607 mg